PhoXo is a free lightweight photo editor for Windows. It’s less than 5MB in size, but it has a lot of the same functionality that you find in more professional image editing software like GIMP.
It’s tiny, fast, easy to use, can be treated as a mini PhotoShop. Its features include layers, undo, over 50 special effects, batch processing, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools for selecting, crop, painting, retouching, measuring and navigation. Especially, you can easily add text effects to image, such as shadow text, ripple text, gradient color text etc. PhoXo web site provides a large number of resources, including step by step tutorials, thousands of free clip-art, frames, patterns, textures and shapes.
PhoXo interface is divided up into the main window, which can be seen on the left, and additional libraries on the right from where clip art and frames can be added to your images, photos and designs.
Toolbox and layers can be seen on the left and on the right side of the workspace, respectively. Main menu in the top left corner of the screen is available where you can access most of the options available in this free graphics editor, with some tools that you’re gonna be accessing on a regular basis available in the quick access toolbar down below.
- Free and lightweight – can be used on computers with older hardware
- Photo to ASCII converter – convert images and photos into ASCII text
- Comes with support for layers – each new edit goes on a new layer
- Clip art and frame libraries – new ones available from the PhoXo website
- Good format support – BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TGA, ICO, PSD
- Rich toolbox – gradients, brushes, pen tool, bucket fills, shapes, etc.
- Effects – artistic, distort, light effects, color, lens flair, etc.
- Image adjustments – brightness, hue, saturation, black white, glow
- Easy to use interface – doesn’t have complicated menu layout